Menus: Winter Week 1
Ah winter, time for comfort foods and warm dishes! If you find yourself making the same thing every week, or boredom in the kitchen is setting in...look no further! I put these menus together with recipes that are kid approved, healthy and full of variety!
Here's week 1:
Sunday- Chicken fingers, sweet potato fries/zucchini tots
Monday- Veggie loaded Mac n Cheese
Tuesday- Quiche and banana roll ups
Wednesday- Hamburger rice hotdish
Thursday- Leftover hotdish
Friday- Black bean soup with quesedillas
Saturday- Spaghetti Squash
2-3 chicken breasts (boneless, skinless)
1 c. almond flour
3 Tbs milk
1 tsp. Sea Salt
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
½ tsp. paprika
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Cut chicken into desired sized pieces and pat dry.
3. Combine dry ingredients in shallow bowl.
4. Whisk eggs and milk in a small bowl.
5. Dip chicken into egg mixture and then into dry mixture, coating evenly.
6. Lay chicken in a single layer on a wired baking rack.
7. Bake for 30-45 minutes, depending on size/thickness.
Sweet Potato fries and zucchini Tots
1 cup grated zucchini 1/4 medium onion, minced
1/4 cup grated cheddar cheese. 1/3 cup seasoned breadcrumbs 1/4 tsp sea salt 1 egg
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Grate zucchini and pour 1 cup into a clean dish towel or cheese cloth.
3. Wring all of the excess water out of the zucchini.
4. Combine all of the ingredients and season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Spoon 1 tablespoon of mixture in your hands and roll into small ovals.
6. Place on the cookie sheet and bake for 20 minutes, flipping halfway through, cooking until golden.
Sweet Potato Fries:
Olive oil or cooking spray
1 large or 2 small sweet potatoes
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Wash and cut sweet potatoes into strips and then place in ice water for 20 minutes
3. Pour out water and pat potatoes dry
4. Spread onto wire baking rack and spray with cooking spray
5. Sprinkle with onion powder and salt.
6. Bake in oven for 10-20 minutes (depending on thickness) until golden
Veggie Loaded Mac n Cheese
2 Cups noodles 1/2 Cup milk
1 Tbs Butter 1 Tbs Flour
1/2 Cup milk 2 Tbs Cream cheese
1/4 Cup cheddar cheese Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 Cup squash puree (or pureed cauliflower)
1. Cut squash and reserve 1/4 (uncooked) for quiche recipe tomorrow!
2.Cook the 2nd half of the squash (microwave or oven) and set aside 1/2 cup. (Freeze the rest in 1/2 cup mashed servings for future use).
3. Cook noodles according to package directions and drain.
4. In a saucepan, melt butter and then add the rest of the ingredients, excluding the flour and noodles.
5. Once the mixture is blended well, add the flour to thicken.
6. Add noodles and enjoy!
Quinoa Crusted Quiche
1/3 Cup uncooked quinoa 1/4 Cup minced onion
1 Cup shredded squash 6 Eggs
1 Cup cottage cheese 2 Tbs parmesean cheese
1/2 Cup Shredded cheddar cheese 1 tsp Parsley
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 12 muffin cups.
2. Spoon 1 tsp quinoa into each cup. Move cup around to coat bottom/sides.
3. Mix all ingredients together. Spoon into cups (filling 3/4 full)
4. Bake for 28-30 minutes until firm to the touch & golden edges
Remove from the oven and let cool in muffin cups for 10 minutes, and then carefully run a sharp knife around the edges to dislodge the quiche.
Banana Roll Ups
2 Ezekiel Wraps 2 Bananas
3 Tbs Cream Cheese 1 Tbs Peanut Butter Powder
1 tsp Honey 1/4 tsp Cinnamon
1/4 Cup low sugar granola (Optional)
1. Mix cream cheese, honey, PB powder, cinnamon.
2. Spread mixture onto each Ezekiel wrap and sprinkle with granola.
3. Place bananas (whole) on the wrap and roll up.
4. Place on a hot griddle or pan coated with coconut oil. Grill until golden on each side.
5. Slice in half.
Hamburger Rice Hotdish
1 lb Hamburger 1/3 cup mushrooms
1 Cup water 5 ribs celery
1 Cup organic rice 2 cloves garlic
2 Cups beef broth 1 onion
1 tsp garlic salt
1. Brown hamburger with garlic salt
2. Finely chop ingredients in the right column (I use a mini food processor to mince all) and add to browned hamburger.
3. Add all ingredients together in a 9x13 baking dish and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
Black Bean Soup with Quesadillas
1 chopped onion 1 can diced tomatoes
1 red bell pepper, chopped. 3 cloves garlic, minced
4 Cups cooked black beans. 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp chili powder 1 tsp salt
2 cups beef or vegetable broth 2 Tbs oil
1 cup mozzarella cheese. 4 Ezekiel wraps Tortilla chips, lime, salsa (optional)
Heat oil in medium pot. Add onion, bell pepper, garlic. Sauté for a couple of minutes, then add the rest of the ingredients from the top columns and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer. Simmer for 20 minutes.
Spray a frying pan or skillet with olive oil and place over medium to low heat. Add Ezekiel wraps on the warm surface and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Once cheese starts to melt flip half of the wrap over. Remove once both sides are browned.
1. Cut squash in half lengthwise
2. Place face down in a baking dish filled with 1 inch
3. Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes
4. Let squash cool slightly (5-10 minutes) and scoop
flesh using a fork.
Top with sauce of choice: Marinara; Butter or olive oil with garlic and herbs (onion powder, basil, oregano, parsley); Alfredo- 1 tsp butter, 1 Tbsp cream cheese 1/4 cup cream, 1 tsp garlic salt, 1/4 cup parmesan cheese